By S. Craig, M. Martinez
This e-book represents an immense step in bringing jointly numerous strands of study approximately attitudinal ambivalence and public opinion. Essays via a exotic workforce of political scientists and social psychologists offer a conceptual framework for knowing how ambivalence is at present understood and measured, in addition to its relevance to the mass public's ideals approximately our political associations and nationwide id. The theoretical insights, methodological techniques, and empirical analyses will upload considerably to our wisdom concerning the nature of ambivalence specifically, and the constitution and evolution of political attitudes normally.
Read Online or Download Ambivalence and the Structure of Political Opinion PDF
Best political books
Because the son of a noble kin which used to be approximately burnt up within the Revolution and as an formidable flesh presser through the July Monarchy and the second one Republic, Alexis de Tocqueville had a entrance seat on the innovative drama of his time. In 1831 Tocqueville made the recognized voyage to the USA which resulted in his masterpiece, Democracy in the USA, probably the most very important works within the heritage of democratic suggestion.
An account of Hegel’s political insights and their modern relevance. Drawing from various Hegel’s writings, Shannon Hoff articulates a thought of justice that calls for answering concurrently to 3 irreducibly various calls for: these of group, universality, and individuality. The domain names of “ethicality,” “legality,” and “morality” correspond to those crucial dimensions of human adventure, and a political procedure that fails to provide sufficient reputation to anyone of those becomes oppressive.
The Political economic climate of Regionalism: The Case of Southern Africa demanding situations triumphing knowledge, displaying how ruling political elites and 'big enterprise' subscribe to forces with sure exterior actors on the way to advertise industry integration and financial globalization, improve regimes, and to fulfill group-specific or even own pursuits.
- Henry Sidgwick, And Later Utilitarian Political Philosophy
- The Question of Intervention: John Stuart Mill and the Responsibility to Protect
- Trials of Europeanization: Turkish Political Culture and the European Union
- Border Songs (Vintage Contemporaries)
Additional info for Ambivalence and the Structure of Political Opinion
At the other end of the spectrum, for an abortion conducted long after the beginning of the third trimester (a time-span outside of protections from Roe v. Wade) people generally were 20 Albertson et al. able to rationalize the procedure as being undeserving of moral protection. It is only when abortion was framed as a matter of personal choice, without any external justifications, that respondents displayed the kind of intrapsychic conflict that we argue constitutes ambivalence (Alvarez and Brehm 2002: 88).
2 reports the ordered probit models for subjective ambivalence, that is, how hard it was for the respondent to answer the prior questions. The most important finding here is the highly consistent effect of gender: Men are much less likely to profess ambivalence than are women, with five of the six coefficients being negative (though one of these as well as one positive coefficient, each involving welfare reform, fall short of achieving conventional levels of statistical significance). It also is interesting to note that gender has a systematic impact on response latency, with men being quicker to respond.
4. Greenwald and Banaji (1995) refer to subjective accounts as explicit, and objective measures as implicit. 2. Ambivalence as Internal Conflict Bethany Albertson, John Brehm, and R. Michael Alvarez P olitical scientists and psychologists recognize the presence of ambivalence in our attitudes, but conceptions of ambivalence are widely varied. Is ambivalence common or rare? Is it a subjective feeling that can only be measured by asking the individual, or is it an objective property of an attitude that can be measured without the respondent’s knowledge?
- Download Bobby Flay's Bar Americain Cookbook: Celebrate America's by Bobby Flay, Stephanie Banyas, Sally Jackson PDF
- Download Adam Smith's Political Philosophy: The Invisible Hand and by Craig Smith PDF